Re: Camera thoughts

MAO wrote:

>         I'm implementing a camera system using Euler angles, but I'm not sure
> about one thing.

Well, I certainly wouldn't use gluLookAt - it's OK for quick hack programs
where you want to be sure you are looking at a particular model - but for
more serious applications like games where you need to navigate an environment,
I strongly suggest that you get familiar with the matrix representation for
rotations.

You should read my two FAQ's on this subject:

  http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/matrices_can_be_your_friends.html
  http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/eulers_are_evil.html

>         This seems to work fine, but if, for example, I pitch up, and start
> just applying yaw repeatedly, I notice that the camera slowly starts
> leveling, canceling the initial pitch.

That's probably to do with the order that the yaw and pitch angles are
applied.  My 'Eulers Are Evil' document explains this in some detail.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net