Re: Obsolete libraries

Le Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:55:33 +0100
Francesco Orsenigo <xarvh@lombardiacom.it> a écrit :

> Worried about console obsolescence, i decided to switch to GLUT.
> While crawling around the net for troubleshooting, i discovered that glut is
> no more developed since about 2000, while the freeglut project stopped in
> 2001.
> The question is: does it make sense to begin a project based on GLUT, or the
> best solutions are still ALLEGRO and SDL?
>
> I suppose many people here are creating linux games.
> Then i'd like to know what are they using for the basic IO.

I would say Glut is best suited for demos and little proofs of concept than games, but I really don't know it that much. If you want to create 3D games, there are some librairies availables : SDL and Allegro (with AllegroGL) as you said or ClanLib. There are several game engines too like PLIB, Crystal Space, OGRE, NeoEngine, NeL, etc. It all depends on what you want to do, what languages you are familiar with and which level of control you need on the library.