Re: SDL (was: Re: SVGALIB on Thinkpad)

Jan Ekholm wrote:

> On Tue, 14 May 2002, Chris Purnell wrote:
>
> >On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 05:12:31PM -0500, Steve Baker wrote:
>
> >I've also tried to program using SDL.  The initial learning curve seems
> >to be very steep.  Worse than OpenGL or even Athena Widgets.  I gave up
> >in the end and used something else (I think it was X lib).
>
> I've never used the C interface for SDL (only the Python one), but I have
> a hard time believing that SDL is harder to use than X11? X11 is the
> horror of horrors to program, worse than MFC...

It depends what you want to do with it.

If all you need is to open a window, grab an OpenGL rendering context
and read keyboard & mouse events - then it's quite easy to use raw X11.
Also, you only ever sweat it once and then write a handful of wrapper
functions and re-use that code for the rest of your career!

If you need more functionality than that then you might well consider
something like SDL.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net