Re: Interested in starting some basic development

On Fri, Nov 13, 1998 at 07:08:43PM -0800, Joel Stanley wrote:

> Where's a good place to start? I feel that if I start working with an
> existing API, I won't really have a good understanding of what's happening
> at the hardware level. Is this true? Should I try to avoid the existing
> APIs such as OpenGL or GGI or whatever else there is out there and just do
> some dinking around in assembly and perhaps use the SVGALib in C/C++?

I would most definitely suggest OpenGL as graphics framework (Mesa on Linux).
You really don't want to know what's going on at the hardware level. Think
about portability.

Speaking of portability, I'm still searching for decent portable sound API.
Anyone using any?

Oh yes, I almost forgot. As we all know OpenGL is windowing system independent,
so you do your own windowing stuff, or use something like GLUT. Now, GLUT is
not very well suited for games. Is there anything similar to GLUT but useful
for games?

--
Borko Jandras	<bjandras@public.srce.hr>