Re: Interested in starting some basic development

Borko Jandras wrote:

> Depends. If you would to use some C++ features, it would be impossible.
> Anyway, if you write in C, you don't even have to make wrappers for C++ and
> Objective-C.

Exactly! Despite the "object-oriented mania" going on, a game is perhaps
one of the applications best-suited to an object-oriented paradigm.
Coding the damned thing in C wouldn't give me half the flexibility I
want in twice the code.

> Sure you would. You would just have to think differently. Think differently...
> oh my! :)

Puh-LEEZ. You sound like an Apple marketroid. :) (I despise that slogan
and that entire campaign so it's nothing personal.)

Anyhoo, a library such as GAMES (and probably Crystal Space as well)
depends on such things as inheritance, polymorphism, and RTTI.
Implementing those things in C would be a lot more trouble than it's
worth, and the resultant code would be real messy. You'd have to be a
real wizard to do even basic stuff with the game library. I've seen them
try to retrofit OO concepts onto straight C with things like COM. It's
horrible. As bad as you may think C++ is, you can't say that you would
prefer that mess over C++ and keep a straight face. If you can, then I
don't think a refusal to scrap all my work and redo it in C for the
convenience of folks like you would be ill-justified as you are truly
small in number.

FWIW, all the real low-level stuff in GAMES, blitters and so on, is or
could be done using C.
Jeff Read <bitwize@geocities.com>/ http://genpc.home.ml.org
Unix / Linux / Windows Hacker,  / Boycott Microsoft!
Anime & Sonic Fan,             / Use Linux/GNU!
All Around Nice Guy           / Let's keep the Net and the Land FREE!