Re: Interested in starting some basic development

Borko Jandras wrote:

> > > Sure you would. You would just have to think differently. Think differently...
> > > oh my! :)
> >
> > I make heavy use of the object-oriented stuff in C++. At this time more than 30 people
> > have contributed to the code. Contributing to the code is relatively easy because the
> > engine is divided into classes. In C you can do this as well but you have to be very careful
> > and it is very easy to make mistakes. C++ forces you to make a clean seperation of
> > every class you write.
>
> And using windows is easier than... ok I'll stop here.
>
> > Of course, this is mainly an advocation for using an OO language. Whether or not C++
> > is actually a good OO language is another matter. But I still think that C++ is better than
> > no OO language at all.
>
> There are other OO languages out there. Ever looked for any?

I program in JAVA as well. But JAVA is (currently) not performant enough for a 3D
engine. Other that JAVA and C++ there are no mainstream OO languages. Eifel, Smalltalk
and Objective C are probably better than C++ but they are not mainstream.

I wanted to make an engine that was easy to use for making games. Making the engine
in Eifel, Smalltalk or Objective C would defeat that purpose.

So C++ is the only practical choice for me if I want to use an OO language for writing
a 3D engine.

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

"?" he said.
        -- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)