Re: Interested in starting some basic development

Borko Jandras wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 08:24:38AM -0500, Jeff Read wrote:
> > Borko Jandras wrote:
> >
> > > What good is it if I can't use it. Substitute `I' with `a great deal of
> > > develpers who don't think much of C++'.
> >
> > You can use it. :)
>
> Good thing you put that `:)' there.
>
> > You may not think much of C++ but that doesn't mean
> > your fingers freeze up when you try to code in it, does it?
>
> As a matter of fact, they do!
> Ok, let's be serious. So you thing that the solution is for me to switch to
> C++, even if I don't like it and event if it is inferior to the language I
> use (and I use it with vigor).

Well maybe not but this is exactly what you are suggesting for me to do.
You say that I should switch Crystal Space to C, even if I don't like it and even
if it is inferior to the language I use (C++).

It all comes down to a matter of taste. I prefer C++ over C. You prefer C
over C++. However, I think you should not be so inflexible over language
choice. I can and will use C if I have to. As a matter of fact, Crystal Space
interfaces with a number of C libraries. If I can do that, why can't you
do the reverse?

> > Besides,
> > many of the most common complaints about C++ (the fact that it produces
> > bloated code, for instance) can be dealt with by keeping the number of
> > classes sufficiently small and don't become a rabid object-oriented
> > evangelist. (The Java 1.1 event system is a dreadful example of OO gone
> > too far.) I'm not writing an MFC-like monstrosity, and I doubt Jorrit
> > Tyberghein is either. But inheritance, polymorphism, and RTTI are things
> > that what I'm doing benefits from... things C++ provides readily but are
> > a plain b*tch to simulate using straight C code.
>
> So it all comes down to this: lazy programmers. :) (please note the `:)', thank
> you)

Lazy programmers are good programmers :-)

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

"?" he said.
        -- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)