Re: Interested in starting some basic development

Borko Jandras wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 10:47:02AM +0100, Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:
> > > Ok, let's be serious. So you thing that the solution is for me to switch to
> > > C++, even if I don't like it and event if it is inferior to the language I
> > > use (and I use it with vigor).
> >
> > Well maybe not but this is exactly what you are suggesting for me to do.
> > You say that I should switch Crystal Space to C, even if I don't like it and even
> > if it is inferior to the language I use (C++).
>
> You should have in mind how your work will be used by others. If I write a
> progam, I must make it usable to the people other than myself, or the program
> will not be what you may call a success. It's the same thing with libraries,
> but the users are programmers. YOU have to BEND to THEIR needs, if you want
> them to use your library.

But if you follow that mindset then we will be stuck forever with having to
write libraries in C. I can hardly think that is a good thing. I assume that if you
wanted to write a library that you'd prefer to write it in your favorite language (e.g.
Objective C)?

It's like saying: 'why didn't you write this program in COBOL? Everybody is using
COBOL. But you did write it in C? No noone will be able to use your program.'

If all people followed the above thinking in the past then we would still be using COBOL
for business programs. But times change. C is still widely used but that is not
necessarily a good thing. Why not help move time along to more modern times?

So in summary. I DON'T want to bend to the needs of the masses. If I and others
do that there will be no progress and everything will remain the same for ever.

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

Brother Preptil, the master of the music, had described Brutha's voice as
putting him in mind of a disappointed vulture arriving too late at the dead
donkey.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)