Re: Interested in starting some basic development

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 07:33:37PM +0100, Magnus Norddahl wrote:
> I'm getting quite borred of hearing GGI people bla bla about their stupid
> project. Let's talk about what GGI can do TODAY. Nothing is the keyword.

Let's talk about what can you do TODAY with what you have. Nothing!

> Give me direct access to the frame buffer? Great! This is also possible with
> svgalib, Xfree86 and /dev/fb.

X? I did a very simple test. Opened up a 640x480 window and drawed a rectangle
across it, using Mesa. It took cca. 150 milliseconds for each frame.
Let me spare you the calculation, that's 6.6 fps. Can you live with that?
Oh yes, the machine was K6-2 333. X just isn't made for such things.

svgalib? Running games as uid 0? Constantly having the console-fuckup hanging
above your neck?

> (I'm just tired of Christian constantly mentioning a project that doesn't have
> any future, if they do not change course)

I don't know if GGI will or will not have a future, I just know that something
has to be done. The current situation holds no future for games under Linux.

--
Borko Jandras	<bjandras@public.srce.hr>