Re: X11 speed (was Re: Interested in starting some basic development)

On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 08:31:32AM +0100, Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:

> > X? I did a very simple test. Opened up a 640x480 window and drawed a rectangle
> > across it, using Mesa. It took cca. 150 milliseconds for each frame.
> > Let me spare you the calculation, that's 6.6 fps. Can you live with that?
> > Oh yes, the machine was K6-2 333. X just isn't made for such things.
>
> Crystal Space (yes that ugly C++ library of mine :-) runs with the following
> speeds in X with a 640x480 window (16-bit display mode):
>     My old pentium 90: 10 FPS
>     My new P-II 400: 27 FPS
>
> And you have to keep in mind that it also has to do some rendering instead
> of only blitting to the screen.

Thit is better than what I get, but is still not enough. I don't know what kind
of rendering CS does, but I would expect 10 fps on 486DX2-66.

> You just have to use the SHM extension (shared memory extension).
> This helps a VERY GREAT deal. With that extension you get almost the
> same speeds as with svgalib but without the suid problems.

I'm using SHM, that is Mesa is using it. Why is it so crappy then? How am I to
make a decent game for Linux if you need K6-2 to play it.

--
Borko Jandras	<bjandras@public.srce.hr>