RE: Texture mapping (and something else)

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Gareth Noyce wrote:

>> I'd certainly contribute to a project that had enough serious
>> people on it
>> to solve the problem for real.
>
>I look forward to seeing something happen then! ;-)

Problems with projects that start as 'team-projects' tend to be that they
never get anything done. Just a lot of discussion, but no usable code.
Someone has to start a project and really do some planning, designing,
documentation and coding, and others will then join if the project is
feasible. I think it would be quite fun to participate in something (read:
I've too much spare time...), but maybe not as the one who starts
something.

Conclusion: too many projects that get designed to be done by non-local
teams (i.e. people that can't see eachother easily) don't have good
success rates. Gimp started out as a 2-person thing, and others joined
later as it had got well udnerway and was usable.

And now for something completely different....

Are there any people on this list that are interested in discussing
strategy-games? The emphasis nowadays is a bit too much on 3D-games witgh
pretty gfx. I'd like to try (again) to make a simpl Empire-clone or
something resembling the old Civil War-series that SSI had 15 years ago.
Has anyone else has similar ideas? It would be nice to discuss and
exchange ideas and experience. I've over the years worked on N versions of
Empire, and every version gets a little closer to getting ready, but then
my energy and/or knowledge has stopped me from finishing it. Now I
_should_ have the technical knowledge to pull something like that off, but
it would be fun to discuss gameplay etc.

 Jan 'Chakie' Ekholm |    CS at Åbo Akademi University, Turku, Finland
    Linux Inside     | I'm the blue screen of death, no-one hears you scream