RE: Strategy games (was something else and Texture mapping)

>One area that I think may cause a problem with this is the length of
>gameplay.

Interesting idea, but I think we can do something against this
problem.

Making more complex levels, things to be done first, ...

>How would this lend itself to a top down, (traditional) strategy approach?
>Well, I think it could be done, but some sensible, sophisticated AI for
>computer based opponents would be needed (line of sight, hearing attributes,
>blah de blah) and a /very/ nice level design (which is easy) just to make
>the whole thing interesting.

Yes, different AI´s would be needed. Some automatic engines, some
intelligent units, ...

>Quite a challenge, but it could be worth it. Typically (I would argue) this
>sort of scenario lends itself more to firstperson 3D engines (see Golden
>Eye).
But there it would be only possible to play one person, not a whole
group. (Ok, it is possible, but ...)
We first had the idea to realize it with a 3D engine, but I do not
have a 3D card yet.

>I think you should do it as an isometric view, that would be
fantastic
>(real arcade adventure feel -  and I'd love to do the GFX for it!)
Yes? We are needing graphic artists, especially 3D modellers.
(They are very hard to find here in Austria)

The Defkon system reached playability yesterday:

After a lot of Bugfixes and improvements, this is the first playable
(hopefully ;-) version of Defkon 17:

http://members.xoom.com/p_guehring/dev_neu.019991104.tgz

(It still depends on GGI)
We are working to set up a homepage for Defkon.

Many greetings,
--
~ Philipp Gühring              p.guehring@poboxes.com
~ http://www.poboxes.com/p.guehring  ICQ UIN: 6588261