RE: Strategy games (was something else and Texture mapping)

Some of my favorite games were kicked out in the mid 80's for commadores and
family by Sid Meyer (sp?), whom I think was one of the 20th century
supergeniouses :) I was wondering what the run of the corrosponding copyrights
are? 'Pirates!' is right up towards the top of my list, and seeing a linux
version with "modern" graphics and sound, and a souped up simulation engine
would really make my day. The technology in pirates was pretty simple (but
quite elegant), and I wouldn't think that an exact clone would be too tricky
(but I could be way off base). The added cpu oomph and interface fidelity
(160x200x16/320x200x(character cell bi-color from a 16 color palette) is pretty
low level, and the quality from the 3 voice SID chip doesn't exactly compare to
even sb16... More cpu could be devoted to driving 'smarter' friends and
enemies... I do beleive I'm blabbering :)

Does anyone know how long those copyrights run? Are they the same length as
written works (books, I think 50 yrs)? If all the sudden linux had games with
comparable gfx/sound and SUPERIOR gameplay and fun, that would really generate
some posative attention I'd think. I'll shut up now

        -Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.