Re: Direction of Linux games...

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 03:45:57PM +0000, Steve Baker wrote:

> When Tux_AQFH was released, I got *hundreds* of emails of the
> form "It would be really great if there was a level in which
> Tux did <something requiring 200 hours of programming effort>".

> The problem with Tux has been the man-power to add features,
> not a shortage of ideas for features.  I have been *extremely*
> disappointed at the failure of the project to attract developers.
> ...that is the reason that I havn't added anything to Tux for
> the last few months - with no other people helping out, it
> doesn't really seem worth the effort to continue.

> Talk is cheap.  Send me code or money!

I remeber when I first saw Tux_AQFH.  I was very impressed
with the look of your levels.  When I looked at it closer
it had two problems.

The first was that without a joystick the controls suck.
This would be relatively easy to fix.  It would be a bit
of work to not break the existing controls but nothing I
couldn't do.

However I didn't bother because of the second problem.
That is it lacks timing code.  This proved to be very
difficult to retro-fit.  About all I could add would
be a frame rate limiter.

So without any code I never got around to telling you
about it.  At least I don't think I did.

--
Christopher John Purnell  | A friend in need's a friend in deed
http://www.lost.org.uk/   | A friend with weed is better