Re: Direction of Linux games...

Chris Purnell wrote:

> > Talk is cheap.  Send me code or money!
>
> I remeber when I first saw Tux_AQFH.  I was very impressed
> with the look of your levels.  When I looked at it closer
> it had two problems.
>
> The first was that without a joystick the controls suck.
> This would be relatively easy to fix.  It would be a bit
> of work to not break the existing controls but nothing I
> couldn't do.

To quote myself: "Send code or money!"

> However I didn't bother because of the second problem.
> That is it lacks timing code.  This proved to be very
> difficult to retro-fit.  About all I could add would
> be a frame rate limiter.

Yes - I agree this *is* a problem...and I should have
known better.  However, it's great at 30Hz - and all
known machines that can support a 3D accellerator that
can support OpenGL will run at ~30Hz - so a simple
rate limiter isn't all that bad to bear.

This is not the kind of red-hot-trigger-action game
where 60Hz+ is critical.  I don't care about supporting
software-only 3D because it's lame - so I don't have
to care to much about sub-30Hz.

Care to contribute your rate limiter?

> So without any code I never got around to telling you
> about it.  At least I don't think I did.

*someone* mentioned the frame rate thing...it may have been
you.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker