Re: How to best get smooth scrolling in X?

Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Stephen J Baker wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
>>

>>>Yes, this seems in line with most other stuff I have read. It is the same
>>>thing for stuff like DGA, right?
>>>
>>>DGA & SDL gives true doublebuffering, but only in fullscreen mode it
>>>seems. Sigh.
>>>
>>OpenGL hardware typically provides for two modes:
>>

> Thanks. Would it be your impression that the OpenGL drivers typically wait
> for the vertial retrace before swapping?

For the few I've played with - under Linux they generally require
you to set up a shell variable to select between 'swap immediately'
and 'swap on next vertical retrace' modes.

On nVidia hardware (using their closed-source drivers), you say:

   export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1

...to enable the vblank sync.

I recall Mesa has something similar - but I don't remember what it is
or what cards it works with.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net