Re: c code vs c++ code

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 05:34:32PM -0600, Steve Baker wrote:
> Katie Lucas wrote:
> >On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 09:42:42PM -0600, Steve Baker wrote:
> >
> >>The C++ standard is produced by people who live, breathe and die
> >>understanding the subtle details of 'correctness' and 'type safety'.
> >>I doubt that any of them write computer games for a living.
> >>

> >See, I've never understood this: why should games code be any less
> >correct or type safe than the code in my bank?
>
> The consequences of failure are hardly comparable.

No, you're completely right, but not in the way you think. If games
code fails because of writing some random pointer, the player will
lose out.

If the bank software component fails in the same way, the
communications queueing software will just send the incompleted
transaction to another server and restart the failed one...

<grin>