Re: peer-peer syncronization

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 05:00:09PM +0100, Francesco Orsenigo wrote:

> How can syncronize a game (ie: make two simultaneous events appear
> simultaneous to all users) in a peer-peer system, using UDP?
> (TCP would be slow, and i'd like to avoid the complexity of a client-server
> system).

TCP is **NOT SLOW**

I wish people would stop bloody well assuming things like this. It
LOOKS slower over broken links because it sorts the packets into
order and re-requests the missing ones.

It's only slower if you don't want a guarantee that data will arrive
and will be in the right order.

> Any ideas?
> Is there any documentation about doing such things?

Lots. Read game gems. Read some books on TCPIP.

Look, I'm not saying all these things are solved problems, it's more
like they're UNSOLVED problems. Not using TCPIP has become a new
religious statement of the games world. It's held as the same sort of
unverified truth as using assembler is.

I keep coming across these things, people who think virtual
dispatching is too expensive, that TCPIP is slow, that this or
that. And none of them have actually measured these things or can
point at the data where someone else has.. where DO all these ideas
originate from?