Re: peer-peer syncronization

Katie Lucas:
>  > What about the server just 'routing' timed packets?
>  > -The player gives a command
>  > -The client sends the command to the server
>  > -The server adds the time (in game time) of the execution of the command
>  > (maybe postponed some ticks in the future) and sends it back to ALL
>  > clients. -The clients receive the command and, when the time has come,
>  > execute the command, updating the game.
>  > Drawback: some lag between the command issued and the command executed.
>  > But should fit a RTS game.
>  > Or not?
>
>  Yes. There will be. What you do is immediately wake up all the troops
>  on the player's screen and have them yell something like "Yes Sir!!!"
>  which will nicely fill in that gap...
You are a genious.
Eheh...
Just that.

>  Technically: not at all. Also, technically, there is no such thing as
>  a UDP connection -- connection is a TCP level thing.
Yes, ok, but you got the point...

[cut]
>  TCP is **NOT SLOW**
>
>  I wish people would stop bloody well assuming things like this. It
>  LOOKS slower over broken links because it sorts the packets into
>  order and re-requests the missing ones.
>
>  It's only slower if you don't want a guarantee that data will arrive
>  and will be in the right order.
[cut]
>  Look, I'm not saying all these things are solved problems, it's more
>  like they're UNSOLVED problems. Not using TCPIP has become a new
>  religious statement of the games world. It's held as the same sort of
>  unverified truth as using assembler is.
Well, i wrote two versions of sender/receiver and router: one using standard
sockets (SOCK_STREAM), and one using connectionless sockets (SOCK_DGRAM).
Belive me or not, on a local connection (same machine), the difference between
DATAGRAM and STREAM sockets was sensible.
So it was somewhat natural to me not to ignore connectionless networking.

>  Lots. Read game gems. Read some books on TCPIP.
Have you got the Gamasutra article URL?

Thanx,
Francesco Orsenigo