Newbie seeks guidance

Hello,

I want to break into game development (for fun really) but don't want to switch to Windows to do it. However, I want to make my games portable so my friends/family can play on their windows machines. Can you point me to some resources for developing platform-independent games on linux? I'm going to start with a simple card game and chess game, so I probably just need simple 2-d graphics. Can I get away with QT or is there a much better route to take. Thanks for any suggestions.

JM