Re: Looking for people who want to create a new "strategy" game

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Kai Wetzel wrote:
> > I'd be interested in writing a new Free Software game ("for
> > X11") using C++ with some other people in either of the two
> > broad categories:
> >
> > - SimCity 2000/3000, Railroad Tycoon, etc.
> > - Civilization II, Caesar II (but not too close
> >   to either)
> >
> > Would anybody here be interested and/or how could I
> > find other people to join such an effort elsewhere ?
>
> Best is to find a game already in good shape, and add
> a cool little feature to it.  Along the way, you'll
> figure out how to do games, and who's good to work with.
> e.g. Get the sources for freeciv, and add something that's
> missing!

Well, I have considered this, and I've done this a little
in the area of GUI toolkit stuff by writing a little
widget for an existing toolkit.  However, in this case I'm
tending to prefer a new project since I have the impression
that the set of Free games under development in this
are is rather small, in contrast to some other types of
games where really great games exist or where the needed
efforts seem to mismatch the strong points of FS groups
so far.

I must admit that I'm not the optimal person for freeciv -
I'm not developing in C, AI is not an area I know much about,
and I guess I've not deep enough into playing the original -
in fact I only bought it after seeing freeciv (and I'm
getting better steadily ... :°)

In the area of "city" simulations there seem to
be even less projects, though I tried a game looking
somewhat like the classical SimCity once IIRC.

Nevertheless, I do beleive that a new project can
benefit from projects such as freeciv, e.g. by learning
from the game's client/server model and code, and
the existing games could potentially gain if
a new project makes progress in 2d-isometric tiling and
other aspects.

BTW, does anybody know of an existing library/engine
which helps with "isometrical" 2d tiles ?

kai