Re: Golgotha source release: crack.com closing down!

One thing that worries me is the 'we won't GPL' status:  Wouldn't this
make projects based on the Golgotha code risky?  I had thought that public
domain code could be legally co-opted by a new owner if that owner made
any modifications to it.  It would be very annoying if you work on a
program for several months, only to discover that some company acquired a
hold on it so it wasn't 'free' anymore.

Or perhaps if we GPL our modifications to Golgotha, the distributions
incorporating our changes would come under the GPL?

I'm no lawyer, but I had thought the whole point of the copyleft was to
preserve the freedom of the code.  The opportunity to use source code from
an admired software developer is definitely attractive, but is the ground
safe?

ben taylor