Re: Golgotha source release: crack.com closing down!

Mithras wrote:

>One thing that worries me is the 'we won't GPL' status:  Wouldn't this
>make projects based on the Golgotha code risky?  I had thought that public
>domain code could be legally co-opted by a new owner if that owner made
>any modifications to it.  It would be very annoying if you work on a
>program for several months, only to discover that some company acquired a
>hold on it so it wasn't 'free' anymore.

I think as soon as someone makes modifications to it, she can
effectively choose any license for her version/branch/derivation/...
without affecting the original sources and other derivations from the
original.

I'm not sure about that, but I'm absolutely sure that nobody (except the
crack.com ppl) can change the license for the original Golgotha source -
thus it stays public domain forever ;)

>Or perhaps if we GPL our modifications to Golgotha, the distributions
>incorporating our changes would come under the GPL?

I think so (?)

Cu
	Christian
--

if (1==1.003) printf ("Pentium detected!\n");