Re: Some questions: OpenGL and free 3D models

Paul Tiseo wrote:

> At 11:02 PM 10/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >So, at 100 triangles, human figures are going to be VERY simple,
> >the best you can hope for is getting the dimensions about right
> >and splat a decent texture over it.
>
>         Well, the 'principles' should help, shouldn't they? Sketch out what you
> want modeled. Scan it and use it to model from. Or am I way off base?

I built a human for low polygon count a month or so ago. Here is what
I did:

1) Create the limb and body segments from cylinders and cubes and
   put them in approximately the right position.

2) Snap vertices together to make it "topologically" correct. (eg
   join upper and lower leg segments, join legs at crotch, bend lower
   body edge to fit shape of tops of legs...etc)

3) Pull and push vertices to get the thing into an acceptable shape.

4) Add triangles where I can't get the curvature right with the
   original geometry.

5) Apply textures.

In my case, I'm going to use 'bones' to animate the vertices - but
that's something I'm still learning about.

I'm expecting to use maybe 200 vertices in high detail.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker