Re: Best API?

Gareth-
I'm sure I'll get slammed on this list for the following comments, but I
seem to have similar requirements as you, so here goes.

>> I've got a project designed, strictly 2D sprite based with the need for
fast
>> blitting and frame buffering.

My main goal also.

>> I'd also like some color layering (transluscent
>> sprite overlays)

I haven't done this, but I think it could be added fairly easily.

>> and preferably the automatic masking of sprites
I've implemented run length encoded (RLE) sprites.

>> I have no real desire for cross platform. I'm not planning to release on
>> anyhing other than x86 Linux.
Me neither.  Well, I would like to release for all versions of Linux (e.g.
alpha)

>> I also /don't/ want it running in X. This is
>> gonna be strictly console based (cos X games annoy the hell out of
me)...
Same here.  You'll probably get a lot of flack for this though.

>> Now Svgalib looks like it could do the job (and it can handle the
masking
>> requirements) but I understand the suid of processes is a pain for the
end
>> user, and during development can lead to some hairy crashes (but hey -
I'm
>> ex windoze...)
I programmed straight to the OS with the Linux frame-buffer console
(fbcon).  No need for setuid and crashes are no big deal.

>> GGI also looks easy from the setup and frame buffer side of things, but
from
>> what I've seen doesn't have any masking built in?!
The last time I looked at GGI (admittedly a fairly long time ago) they
didn't have any masking.

>> I'd like opinions on the best API.
Heh, good luck with this :)  Personally, I prefer having no external
library.  But I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this.

>> I'd like to hear from people that have actually done some code.
I've done two games this way.  One an asteroids type game, the other an
(American) football game.  I'll send you the code if you want.

>> Whats the quickest IYHO?
I'm assuming you mean quickest development time?
This probably isn't the quickest method.  More like the most basic (pretty
quick to develop, though).
>> What has the most inbuilt sprite functionality?!
This method would provide minimal sprite functionality.  Loading
sprites/colormaps, blitting transparent/solid sprites, clipping, etc...

Hope this helps,
Brett