Re: Learning game development

On Tuesday 09 October 2001 04:11, Ann L'Italien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 12 yr old son who is interested in learning how to create his
> own games.  As yet, he has no programming experience.  Are there any
> sites and/or software you would recommend to give him a start?

Hmm. <looking a bit around>

http://www.hvac.cc/kidscanprogram/main/tofc.htm
Seems to explain things really well. As free alternative of the "logo"
language package that's used there you can use
http://www.softronix.com/logo.html (Windows software)
(has a different screen layout , but that should be ok)

http://www.hetland.org/python/instant-hacking.php
looks like a good first thing as well. Nothing in
terms of games or graphics, but a nice, clear and short intro of basic
programming concepts.
It uses Python (http://www.python.org/) as language, which comes with all
Linux distributions and is available for almost all other systems.

http://www.crosswinds.net/~agauld/
(also using Python) is more advanced. *Perhaps* also a good beginning
pick, but I guess it's too dry to keep a 12yr old going during the first
hours/days

That's about all I found now. Not much, but that should be a start,
enough to write questionnaire-type games. Perhaps someone on our mailing
list knows other links?
Anyway, your son should subscribe to our list (send an empty mail to
linuxgam-subscribe@sunsite.dk) so that he can ask whenever something's
unclear or when he needs more :)
The list is rather low-volume (often no messages for weeks).

Some general pointers that *might* be useful:

http://www.linuxforkids.org
http://www.linuxlinks.com

--
Christian Reiniger