Re: Simple modeller

Jan Ekholm wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Gregor Mückl wrote:
>

>>Steve Baker wrote:
>

>>>  * It's annoying that when you are playing with colours and such,
>>>    you have to keep hitting 'apply' buttons before anything happens.
>>>    With a modern graphics card I shouldn't have to do that.
>>>

>>For really complex scenes real time updates would still not be fast
>>enough. It is *really* annoying when you try to drag a slider to a
>>certain position and it jerks there slowly in 10 steps of 3 seconds
>>each. So realtime update is a big DON'T - at least in my oppinion.
>

> We were talking game models here, not movie scenes. I think any developer
> that develops 3D games has a gfx card with 3D acceleration (well, I don't
> have one yet, but I'm not normal), and those cards are very well capable
> of redrawing models on the fly when doing, say, color changes.

The cards are capabable of doing this, sure. But the program is designed
to cope with complex scenes. It can handle small scenes and models
pretty well, too. And this is why I mentioned it here in the first place.

> For my models with 100 polygons AC3D can do color (probably other material
> stuff too) changes realtime on a p2-333 without 3D acceleration, and I
> wouldn't want it any other way.

I think that we wouldn't have a chance to do update on such small scenes
in real time, because Moonlight does everything in OpenGL (even the UI,
btw.).

There is another modeller out there which is only available for windows
and specialized for low poly count. It's aztec and can be found at
http://aztec.sf.net. Almost all of this modeller's internals build on
Linux, too, but the interface port hasn't been finished yet (work on
this seems to be under way).

Gregor