OpenGL performance on different operating systems

Hi!

I recently became curious about how different operating systems may affect the
performance of things like OpenGL rendering. If I could install Windows on
this computer I'd conduct some testing myself, but I've thorougly messed it
up (well, I might also call it a bug that Windows can't be installed on a
logical partition), so I'm stuck with a Linux only environment.

So I'd like to ask you for your experience in this matter. Is the difference
negligible or are there certain operations where performance differs
considerably?

Or in other words: Are there areas where the commonly available OpenGL
implementations for Linux are particularly slow or fast in comparison? Or is
this dominated by differences in hardware?

Regards,
Gregor