Re: Relative path in game?

Gianfranco Berardi a écrit :

I just found that if I try to run the binary of my game from a different directory, it can't find the files it is trying to load.

So, I figure I must be wrong in my code or my setup, but I am not sure how to handle this problem. How do most games handle this issue?

http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/GetExecutablePath

"On Linux, it is considered bad practice to put data or configuration files in a path relative to the location of the executable (see the Unix Programming Frequently Asked Questions for more information). If you want to distribute a Linux application, you'd be better advised to respect the FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard). Here is a document which gives an overview on how to install games under Linux and how to put the files in the correct directories according to the FHS : Linux Games Install And Directory Guide."