Re: CS results on Console and X

On 04-Sep-99 Steve Baker wrote:
> Cubesoft wrote:
>
>> Also someone(bad with rememberuing names) suggested usleep(1) and sleep(0)
>> every frame for speed.
>
> That's usually recommended for programs that otherwise would consume
> 100% of
> CPU time.  It gives the kernel the opportunity to schedule other
> critical
> processes.

um, I'd rather have the framerate than breathing room for background crap...
wiht my crappy old hardware, I basically kill off everything I possably can
just to get a game playable... :) 'sides, there's enough of a halt on vidsync's
and/or buffer writes that the kernel can slip in something else if necessary. I
wonder if quake and/or glquake use(s) one of those. Low priority programs still
suck up a little cpu when one of those is running, and anything grabbing
anything noticable can fsck my game up ... :)

> It's necessary - but it won't speed your code up at all.
>
> --
> Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
> sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker
> sjbaker@hti.com      (work)

        -Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> [http://shells.clipboard.com/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.