Re: memory management

>Yes, of course I knew that, I just assumed the "*". :-)

No.. you can do it with non-pointers as well. I was doing it with pointers and
this technique saved me an indirection, which turned out to be useful.

>C++ is definitely a whole magnitude faster than Objective-C. Heck, a
>method call in ObjC needs to rummage thru a HASH TABLE!!! But on todays
>computer, I think the difference is marginal and gives more than enough
>benefits to compensate (distributed objects in C++ and in ObjC are a
>whole different ball game!).

It's actually not that much slower - I thought it would be and I was surprised.
Method invocations are about half the speed, which is not bad - and you can
create references to functions to speed stuff up.