Re: memory management

>Darn, I have one right into my face (the list of window in my prototype
>library is a circular list in Z-order with the parent pointing at the
>one on top)... This is one of the case where pure refcounting easily
>comes apart, and believe me, it occurs more often than I'd like it to!
>:-)

Well, not to be disrespectful or anything, but either your code or your
constraints are broken... unless you really do have windows which bend in the Z
direction. A window which is on top of another cannot also be under it if they
are flat in Z. There is a root window, which has no window under it pointing at
it and there is a top-most window which cannot point to anything since nothing
is obscuring it. The data structure isn't modelling the problem.