Re: database (was archive ?!)

On 14-Sep-99 Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu> writes:
>
>> possably we need some kind of database that stores who has what
>> article idea, so two people aren't concurrently working on the same
>> article? (or if they are, they can combine forces and/or trade
>> info?). I got a couple of those that I might like to write on if I
>> can manage free time :) I got lots of nothing to say
>
> I think the best would be to have a database of all requested stuff,
> not just articles but also game engine, game genres, games and other
> game related stuff which does not exist for linux at the current
> moment. I think that would be a great help for coordination and a good
> point to search if somebody wants to start a new project.

That'd be pretty cool. Like a searchable database so if someone wanted to know
something about, say, quaternions, it could pull up links to articles about
quaternions, tutorials, demo code, maybe even mail list/news archives (so
everyone can hear about quaternions giving me wood). That would mean archiving
mailing lists in html format on site (which is probably a good idea. My isp
doesn't have a news server, and the ones that allow anyone are crap, so news is
out of the question for me).

If a database is going to be build, I would be interested in participating in
it. I've just recently started a database course (yesterday was the first day
we got out of theory and into sql), and it would be really cool if I could
apply what I learn to help me understand it as well as helping the linux
community. However, since I've just started, my understanding and ability in
sql is extremely limited :) like sub-neophyte level. Getting to use anything I
learn in a real application environment would be cool.

> --
>                                   http://dark.x.dtu.dk/~grumbel/pingus/ |
> Ingo Ruhnke <grumbel@gmx.de>             http://home.pages.de/~grumbel/ |

        -Erik <br0ke@math.smsu.edu>

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.