Re: New package managment

Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> > A basic Red Hat installation leaves you without kernel sources, glibc
> > headers or compiler. Many users are happy nonetheless.
>
> Hm, didn't know that. But is that a basic installation in the sense of
> only the absolutly basic applications (bash and friends, for servers)
> or in the sense of a standard basic installation, which most users
> will have installed?

Well, my friend did an install and didn't select stuff marked as
"development" in the menu with general categories (like "Printer
Support" and "X Window System"), and he didn't get any of "make", "gcc"
or /usr/include/stdio.h.

He did have a full setup of GNOME, KDE and plenty of candy installed,
just no development tools, so I guess it isn't safe to assume "gcc" or
even "make"!

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/