Re: New package managment

On 25 Sep 1999 12:34:01 +0200, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> Pierre Phaneuf <pp@ludusdesign.com> writes:
>
> > He did have a full setup of GNOME, KDE and plenty of candy installed,
> > just no development tools, so I guess it isn't safe to assume "gcc" or
> > even "make"!
>
> You could be right.
> Back to topic, we don't need a new package system for binaries, the
> ones out there are good enough. So for a 'new' package/build system we
> could safely ignore all those people out there without any development
> tools and instead focus on the people out there which have a full
> features linux installation (with gcc, etc.), but which build only a
> very little number of packages themself (for example just the kernel).

What I have in mind is a kind of supper package class that can do more (more
easily) than what is out there. I think I am going to use dpkg & apt as the
underlying pakaging system. What I am envisioning is "grouping" several deb
pakages into on superfile that can install or build packages as needed.

For example lets look at the Pingus situation. You have this supper package
that contains clanlib and hermes libs for Pingus.

When you install the package it sees tha need to install the libs as well
and does so.

I also am going to include source in the packages so that binaries can be
built from the same package. Even using the option to build staticly linked
binaries. Basicaly the libs would be installed for the build and then
removed after the binary is built.

I would like to say something in the defense of static linking. There is
currently a glut in the lib market with new projects cropping up all the
time. If each new game comes out and is using a different lib you really are
not gaining anything. Plus what if you really want to games that use
different versions of a lib that are incompatable. Say clanlib. Then you
could have the new clanlib installed, but have the Pingus game do a static
link with the old lib.

- Bryan Coleman (opium package development)