Re: Question, Bug in a tutorial

--- Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:

> The image file formats I like best are '.RGB' (also
> known as "SGI
> format")
> and '.PNG'.

I recommend PNG as well.

> JPEG uses lossy compression - unacceptable for most
> applications.

It must be pointed out that JPG can achieve excellent
compression.  If lossy compression is acceptable
(which is more often than you'd  think), JPG makes
a good choice.

> Everything else is too obscure - or has other
> problems.

TGA is another popular format for 24 bit images.  It
is used as the primary output format for a number of
rendering-type apps.  I'm not certain whether it
supports compression, however.

-j