Re: OGRE (was Re: My Game)

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 12:32:58PM +0100, Chris wrote:
> ajr@ecs.soton.ac.uk wrote:
>

> > It is important to maintain clear status as a voluntary code, to
> > avoid legal liability, but in order to preserve some kind of value,
> > the logo could be registered with the USPTO as a certification mark,
>

> Any ideas on how much this costs?

About 300$ US IIRC.

> > probably legal advice. It might be better to host the site off US
> > soil to make it less vulnerable to litigation.
>

> sunsite.dk is off US soil, and the site I'll upload my example images to is
> UK based so I doubt there's any worry there. Well, no more than normal in
> the software world anyway. The end website may be more of an issue, but we
> can build that bridge when we get to it.

Sounds like a reasonably safe place to put it.

> > I probably getting ahead of myself, but it does sound like a great idea.
> > Let me know what needs to be done.
>

> Well I'd suggest this as a rough plan:
>
> - This list comes up with a series of classifications and the criteria
>    used to determine which classification a game falls into. This could
>    be an age/rating system which takes the ESRB system but uses age ranges
>    rather than boundaries. Probably 3 or 4 classifications are needed.

I would advocate a set of ratings that roughly parallel the ESRBs ratings,
but without specifically mentioning ages or even age ranges. Try and
aim for a qualitative rating. Some adults may not want to play games with
sexual or violent content, and social attitudes around the world are
too different for it to be possible to be specific. I can't get to
the ESRB site right now, so it is possible that ESRBs rating do not lend
themselves well to this approach. I will look when I can.

> - I come up with some example classification graphics for the list to
>    look at and comment on.
>
> - Once the classifications are fixed and a graphics style established,
>    I can complete the range of classification graphics required.
>
> - A website detailing the classification system, how it works and
>    how it should be used will be needed. Christian suggested a LGDC
>    article, but I'm not sure that is sufficient to encompass the
>    project. If all else fails, I have some spare web space I can
>    donate to the cause and a web designer who can help out with the
>    site, but whether these are needed is up to the group.
>
> - Once the website is up and everyone is happy about it, we can place
>    notices where needed with links to the site.

Sounds fine as a starting point.

Al