Re: My adventure game engine

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 23:07:00 +0200 (CEST)
Henrik Lidbjörk <lidbjork@algonet.se> wrote:

> Walking in Jan's footsteps, I think I should finally show you my latest
> project, called V8. It's an adventure game engine for Linux/svgalib/GGI
> that will "run" games in the style of Shadowgate, Deja Vu, Rise Of The
> Dragon, Police Quest (though it's first-person) and many other classic
> adventure/quest games.
>
> So far, you can only play text-based games (with images in the
> inventory) with it, but the main graphics stuff will be added soon. The
> windowing GUI, which I've made myself, is almost finished.
>
> I'd love to hear your impressions of it -- what you like and don't like
> about the GUI and overall idea and other things. There's still a lot of
> fixing in the code to be done, but you should get a good idea of the
> general look and feel of the interface.

 Looks very interesting. Problem is that mouse movement is too
sensitive and the mouse pointer moves in non-continuous jumps,
so I can't click the little buttons that close windows.

 It's a tad annoying having to set suid-root to run it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think games using GGI can be
executed on X11. But he refuses to use anything but svgalib
even when X11 is running. What environment variable should
I set?

 Have you ever consider using SDL for this job? It supports
lots of environments and OSes, such as X11, fbcon, svgalib.

See you.