Re: My adventure game engine

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Henrik Lidbjörk wrote:

>Perhaps you read on the V8 homepage that I'm considering GGI. It has X
>support and best of all, it seems like the code could be very easily
>translated from svgalib to GGI. Overall, svgalib is not the best
>choice for this type of game, but it's been a fun challenge to program all
>these windowing functions from scratch. However, the best idea would
>probably be to use GTK or something similar -- it's something I'm also
>considering. Sorry, I don't know how to configure GGI yet.

I don't like games that require you to download/install a great deal of
libraries just to play it. So I would seriously think about trying a game
that requires GTK. Just because I run KDE games that require KDE would get
higher up on my "games worth looking at".

SDL (Simple Directmedia Layer) requires very little and offers you very
much. Loki Software used it for several (I think) of its ports, so it sure
does work. It's also crossplatform, so your game can run on Windows (and
Macs?) too if you want to. The url is:

		http://www.libsdl.org/

There are several extensions for various languages that give you access
to SDL. We use Pygame (http://www.pygame.org) which is a set of Python
bindings for SDL.

SDL can run fullscreen or windowed.

Then there is also Steve Baker's PLib (Portable Game Library,
http://plib.sourceforge.net/), which is somewhat similar to SDL. I'm not
too familiar with it, so I'll just tell you to check out the page.

--

  That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am.
                                           -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)