Re: Rendering triangle meshes with OpenGL

Mark Collins wrote:
> On Thursday 19 September 2002 7:11 am, you wrote:
>
>>I think you should have a look at glDrawElements() instead. This is a
>>lot faster
>>compared to using display lists.
>

> Um, no. Display lists are pre-computed, where as vertex arrays aren't. When
> done properly, compiled lists are the fastest way to go.

The trouble is that what's fastest varies from one card to another.

Currently - on GF4 ti 4600's, CVA's are MUCH faster than Display listed *anything*.

However, next generation is different again (and nVidia have yet more extensions
for yet cleverer ways to stuff vertex data into the beast).

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net