Information on approaches to networking games

Hi there

I am looking for information on approaches to networking games suitable
for lecturing over in a computer science class. I have been invited to do
a "christmas lecture" -- that is, a lecture that is not really part of the
stuff that students are supposed to know at exam, but is still relevant to
the class, which is distributed systems.

My knowledge was reasonably current in 1998 (mostly Quake and RTS related
though). I suspect some new approaches may have surfaced since then. I
would be very happy if someone knew of a good ressource for these matters.
A recommandation of a good book of preceedings on the matter would be very
welcome.

I know this is not much of a Linux question, but I hope you will bear with
me.

Thanks,

Mads

--