Re: artists

Am Dienstag, 2. September 2003 00:25 schrieben Sie:
> [Mon, 01 Sep 2003 22:52:31 +0200] Message from Frederic A. Martinelli:
> (years of usenet experience builds up a coating that makes kevlar look
> flimsy)

Well, could I have a sample of that coating? Maybe, if it is really so strong
and if we could reproduce it synthesetically in our lab we could... *$$$*

> > There are design flow in every program i've come across, mine certainly
> > first, and i'll certainly find more with the future, but it's not a
> > sufficient reason to kill a software for evidently personals and
> > subjective reasons.
>
> Who said kill? If blender is written in even a remotely sensible way (I
> haven't poked around in the code - not enough hours in the day) then
> replacing the interface - the part that causes all the complains about it -
> should be possible without causing serious problems for the bulk of the
> object handling and rendering code. It's the interface we're complaining
> about, not the whole program.

Aehm... sorry to disrupt your dream about blender's code. My oppinion about it
is the following: Imagine the worst piece of software that could possibly be
created in an attempt of totally unorganized teamwork development. Now try as
hard as you can to imagine something worse....

... and even then it's still better than Blender code. Blender tops every
other project of a similar size that I have ever seen. Best part of it is
that Ton Rosendal (lead programmer) doesn't even understand large parts of
vital code that keeps everything together -- although he was the original
author of that code. At least he was honest enough to tell me that.

about a third of the whole code. Reason is that the interface is some sort of
"main module" which glues the rest of blender together. There is no structure
inside the GUI code; in fact you can see how it has grown with time (original
source file large + i have to add a lot of functionality there -> add new
file with new functionality and don't reorganize the rest).

Hacking on that is no pleasure at all. But I still try if I got some spare
time.

Regards,
Gregor