Gimp alternative(s) ?

I was wondering if you guys knew of any Gimp alternative to free image processing (maybe also having some newer photoshop-like concepts in mind ..). I'm asking this as this seems to be a group of people with lots of knowledge and I've already found out good news beyond expectations (Moonlight3d being reborn with the infamous action history tree -- btw, where can I get info on this and know when there have been any updates?).

greets,