Re: [linuxgames] Poll: Video Access

Jan Ekholm wrote:
Speaking of which, I have a small image viewer I made in SDL for use on
our set-top box connected to the TV. It uses raw SDL and SDL_image to load
and show images and works very well. Would it benefit from loading the
images into textures and using OpenGL for the display? Raw speed would
probably not be improved at all, but it could facilitate all kinds of nice
effects when switching between images: fades, rotates, zooms etc, stuff
that the normal "pixel based" images can't really achieve.
If these are features that you want, go for it.  There are some
issues with turning arbitrary pixel data into textures (standard
OpenGL textures are limited in maximum size [there are still
surviving cards with a 256x256 pixel upper limit] and powers-of-two
dimensions), but this can all be worked around (at worst you have
to split your image across several textures taking aliasing at the
seams into account, and stitch them back up when it comes to
drawing).

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3