Re: Data format

Roger Dingledine wrote:

> However, there are two parts to the format issue: there's the metalanguage
> (for which XML is a good answer), and there's the question of what fields
> we want to use. How was wrap those fields is a nice thing to answer, but I
> think the biggest question right now is which fields we're going to use. This
> is something that I'd like to get the people in charge of the news sites to
> hash out, because presumably they're the ones who would be getting and using
> this data.

If everyone describes their data model I can collect the common elements
and make sure that the DTD suits everyone's common needs.

> Can I put you in charge of making sure XML will still fit with our plans as we
> start fleshing things out, Chris?

I can do that.

> >This may seem a little verbose but it does a really good job of
> >describing the data involved.  Also, it doesn't dictate the format in
> >which the data is stored in the backend.  It can be stored as a news
> >spool file, in a relational database backend or flat files.
> >
> >More importantly, it does more to describe the data in the article.  A
> >couple of examples:
> >
> >Additionally, this system allows your current system of storage to
> >remain intact.  I personally use a mysql database for storing articles.
> >Since relational databases tend to put very strict requirements on data,
> >generating XML from them is cake.
>
> Can you elaborate on this? Exactly where are you proposing we use XML?

We can use XML for the actual transfer of content from one site to
another, independent of the transport method, web, nntp, whatever.

> Also, can you point me to some good URLs that explain xml, given that I
> already grok html and sgml?

Check out the The Annotated XML Specification:

http://www.xml.com/axml/testaxml.htm

--

Christopher Blizzard