Re: Forward and reply messages

Dear All,

I have looked through the David's design and I think that, given a few
issues addressed by Roger's comments, it generally works. It resembles
very much the initial design that we had during the MIT meeting (stream
ciphers, variable length headers, some padding at the end, ..) but with
the addition of MAC's to protect against tagging. This MACs make the reply
mechanism distinguishable from the forward mechanism.

Some additional comments would be:
1) One has to be careful about the fact the header length is variable and
that some nodes know it. It would be nice if the total length of the path
cannot be deduced (so for example we require a minimum size of header
padded with junk).
2) If we require the message to be encrypted end-to-end we have to specify
how, and make sure that it looks like a normal encrypted message.

In general, while I find the proposal in itself ok, I am still not
convinced about dropping the requirement about un-distinguish-ability of
reply and forward messages. If the objective is to avoid the remaining
tagging attacks that the swap like approach leave I think it is a
disproportionate penalty.

Since I have been away for a while, it is possible that I am missing
something so please fill me in.

Yours,

George