Re: Expected bandwidth for server

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 11:25:26PM +0100, Mike Zanker wrote:
> On 31 March 2004 20:40 +0100 Joss Wright <joss@pseudonymity.net> wrote:
>
> >Of course, I don't know how this is going to alter as the network
> >grows to take over the world (which it almost certainly shall), but
> >certainly from my experience you should have ample bandwidth to
> >contribute.
>
> OK, thanks - I guess all I can do is try it and see how I get on. I
> produce detailed stats of my network usage so will know exactly how
> much down/upstream bandwidth is being used.

Cool!  When you find out, could you post your findings to the list?

Looking at my stats, it seems like the totoro1 server if relaying
between 400 and 500 packets per day.  At 32K per packet, assuming
negligible overhead, that's about 12-16 MB per day.

Of course, the traffic can get fairly bursty when the server tries to
deliver many packets at once.  Mixminion 0.0.7rc2 (to be released
today) lets you smooth out the bursts by capping average bandwidth,
bandwidth spikes, and number of simultaneous outgoing connections.

Yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson