Re: More thoughts on From: lines

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Peter Palfrader wrote:

> > No charsets different than US-ASCII?
> >
> > So it will not be possible to send MIME mail?

It was late when I wrote that, and I neglected to touch on the MIME
situation. Yes, different char-sets and MIME are to be supported; however,
this requires that the Type III client refuse MIME headers from external
programs, and instead create them itself adhering to the "Canonical MIME
for Type III Remailers" spec, which has yet to be written. I would like to
work on this in conjunction with someone who has more actual MIME
experience than I do -- I have experience of some of the hassles we will
face when we try to do plugins, though.

> I almost forgot References: and In-Reply-To: headers.  What about them?

Good call.

Okay, it looks like we need a list of allowed headers, and whether they
are user, client, or exit-node configurable.

... in the first category, and

... in the second.

Do we canonicalize how References: and In-Reply-To: are done, and put them
in the third category? Or do we just leave them up to the user, and have
them in the first?

Are there any others?

All of these need to be explicitly stated in the spec.

--Len.