General issues before I leave

Dear all,

Here are some issue that are general enough either not be be in the spec
yet, or to be scattered across the spec.

Link padding Dummy traffic, and mixing Strategies.

All of these are open research questions, and I do not think we should yet
include them in the spec. Given that we provide mechanism to do them (in
MMTP, DUMMY in the sub header, no reliance on a particular mixing scheme) we
should think about them a bit more and maybe issue advice on the best
practices.

SMTP issues:

We have included the SMTP delivery mechanism. As I understood it it was
intended for receiving SURB addressed messages without having a server
always on. In the document it seems that now this is considered a general
mechanism to deliver SMTP. I think that we should think a bit harder about
SMTP and produce another spec on SMTP sending/receiving/nyms that I will
be quite happy to do in August. For the moment I think that most open
issues involving SMTP in the spec can be solved if we assume that they are
only going to be used with the last hop of SURBS.

Directory servers.

We must specify a way of querying the mix servers directly about their
specifications. This could be done as a LOCAL/Directory protocol (that
could allow people to ask anonymously) or completely separately.
We must include more red-tape information on the description block: ID,
date, serial number. We can also include a section about what the world,
in particular its neigbouring servers that it is allowed to connect to.

The above allows clients and directory servers to query nodes
automatically, and also allow clients to discover the network by
themselves (mitigates the problem of load on the Directory server and the
traffic analysis problems that came with it).

Programming interface:

A clear programming interface must be provided for people making modules.
For example it is important to distinguish between recipient anonymous
messages received and others.

Standard for reliable, bi-directional, multi packet communications.

Even before we specify a nym server it might be worth defining standard
ways of specifying the SURBs that replies should be addressed to, ways of
performing error correction (using n out of m shares), and how to make
messages that span across many packets effectively. This is more
engineering but also have components of traffic analysis resistance in it.

In conclusion:

I am very happy with how the spec looks overall, and I have put a comment
otherwise. I really think that we should finalize the spec as soon as we
can and resist the temptation to include any service specific information
in it. It should describe waht all nodes in the network do, and be as
simple as possible: remember the bottleneck is to find people running
servers not to write clever software for the service providers and
clients.

Next steps:
Research: Padding (link or dummy), mixing, network topology
Documents: Nym Servers, full SMTP spec, Reliable comms.
Software: client proxies, applications, MixMaster integration

Yours,

George