Message splitting and Mixminion

So everybody but Andrei and Steven should go read Andrei and Steven's
paper before they read the rest of this message.

   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/sjm217/papers/pet05msgsplit.pdf

Done?  Good.

So the basic idea is: against a certain kind of adversary, when
sending a large number of packets to a recipient, it is better to send
them over different paths.  Okay, great.  We already do that.  But
another result is that it's better to choose the initial nodes
according to a geometric distribution rather than a uniform
distribution.  Otherwise, an attacker who is watching a single mix and
sees you send 10 packets can guess that you are likely to be sending
10M packets total, where M is the number of mixes.  [If this makes no
sense, read the paper.]

The question is, should we do something like this with Mixminion?

One reason that the answer isn't a straightforward "yes" is that the
paper doesn't (if I understand Andrei correctly) address the case
where an attacker is watching the sender.  If the attacker *is*
watching the sender, then using the paper's recommended splitting
algorithm can leak information.

For example, suppose Alice sends 10 packets each to 10 recipients, and
Bob sends 100 packets to 1 recipient.  Suppose they're observed by an
attacker.  If they choose their entry mixes uniformly, then they look
the same.  But if they do what the paper suggests, an attacker can
tell them apart, and Alice provides less cover for Bob than before --
not more.

So, what's the right answer here?

yours,
--